From the Happy Homesteader in the 2017 RidgeCrest Herbals Almanac
Homemade All-Natural Cough Lozenges
1 cup organic cane sugar
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice (keep the seeds out)
1 Tbsp raw honey
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves (if you don't have ground cloves, you can make your own using a mortar and pestle)
Optional: 2-3 drops of essential oils such as Peppermint or Thieves
1.Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan on stove top. Turn on medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sugar from sticking.
2. Once the pan starts to simmer, continue stirring and adjust your heat to low setting.
3. Leave it simmering for about 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly.
4. Prepare a baking tray by lining a parchment/baking paper.
DO NOT USE WAX PAPER.
5. Remove pan from heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Your liquid should be dark, thick, and syrupy.
6. Use a spoon to dab dots of syrup onto your baking sheet, about the size of a quarter. Make sure that you work fast, because the mixture sets up quickly.
7. Let them cool/harden on baking sheet for at least 20 minutes.
8. Dust your lozenges with Slippery Elm powder, or you can also
use cornstarch, potato starch, or tapioca starch to absorb
condensation and prevent them from sticking together in
storage. Store in an airtight container away from direct
sunlight, and use as needed to sooth sore, itchy throats